Home Brandon Scott
Singular Profile: Brandon Jay Scott
Sunday, January 16 2011
Share/Save/Bookmark

Meet this Los Angeles magician, actor, comedian and musician who loves what he does and wants to do more.

Brandon Scott. Photo by Bill Rich.
By Kim Calvert

It’s Friday night at the Magic Castle, a Victorian mansion perched in the hills above Hollywood Boulevard. Brandon Jay Scott is about to go onstage, where he’ll mesmerize his audience with impossible feats of magic spiked with a good measure of humor. He’s buzzing with energy, but certainly not stage fright ― not after performing on every one of the stages at this mecca for magicians over the last 30 years.

“Life is fun,” Brandon says. “I’m doing what I love as much as I can, and doing it more all the time.”

His interests and passions are so varied, it’s a wonder he can cover so many bases and still be one human being. When he’s not at the Magic Castle, he’s the marketing director for NoHoArtsDistrict.com, a comprehensive website that covers all of the arts. He says North Hollywood is exploding with creative talent, with over 23 theaters located in a one-mile radius. Working with Nancy Bianconi, the CEO of NoHo Communications, their vision is for the Noho Arts District to become a “West Coast off-Broadway,” nationally recognized as a performing arts destination.

Brandon Scott’s Magic of Martial Arts DVD teaches children nonviolent conflict resolution.He’s also an accomplished martial artist with the moniker “Master East-West” because of the way he combines the various disciplines. Created by Marsha Scarbrough, the Magic of Martial Arts DVD teaches children about nonviolent conflict resolution. Brandon has also led workshops with L.A.’s BEST after school program and on behalf of the “YMCA’s Week against Violence” which earned him the unofficial title of “Children’s Peace Ambassador.” Other awards include certificates from the city of Los Angeles, signed by Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, for his work entertaining people in underprivileged areas of the city, at fundraisers and at hospitals.

He’s bilingual, performing with ease in Spanish or English (sometimes simultaneously). He’s into Buddhism, Daoism and Zen. You may have even heard him talk about his paranormal experiences as a frequent guest on George Noory’s Coast to CoastAM radio show. Then there’s the rain-forest, animal-rights and animal-rescue activism …

“I love dancing too,” Brandon says. “But that’s the thing I do the least, but want to do more often.”

There’s a word to describe someone like him, a Spanish word: duende, a term difficult to translate into English. The original meaning is a fairy- or elf-like creature. In Flamenco the term “tener duende” is loosely translated as having an energetic, charismatic soul.

“I’m a combination of magician and fool,” he says. “I’m a storyteller that utilizes music, theater, art, dance — all the arts into one package.”

Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa with Brandon Scott at the 2010 Veteran’s Holiday Party. Photo by Bill Rich
And to think it all started when Brandon received a book on magic for his fourth birthday. He was living in Mexico City with his parents, both English teachers. The Scott’s were active in the Mexican–American cultural scene and knew professional magicians and other entertainers. Some became mentors in Brandon’s early years. Between the book and their help, he was a full-blown magician by his next birthday. Of course, it didn’t hurt that he enjoyed being the kindergarten class clown.

“By the age of 5, I had a purple tuxedo and was billed as The Purple Wizard and was doing magic shows,” Brandon says. “I knew all along what I wanted to do — be a performer, entertain people, make them laugh and bring happiness.”

Brandon Scott performing at the Magic Castle with Anita Bergman.

But it wasn’t just magic. Growing up, Brandon performed in plays, movies and did commercials for Spanish-language TV. He learned to play the flute, piano and the violin. There was a Bossa Nova band, and by high school, a show he describes as “a little Las Vegas/Broadway magic show with dancing girls and all.”

Ah yes, girls. That was one of the benefits of being a performer, as Brandon will readily acknowledge. He admits it was once a motivating factor.

“I was doing magic to get attention from them,” he says. “It was like, ‘Look at me. Look at what I can do.’ You want to show them you have something special.”

As he matured, Brandon realized the reason he does what he does is that he loves to entertain the inner child that lives inside us all, whether 8 years old or 80. “Adults are really like grown-up children when it comes to the ‘wow’ and ‘ha-ha-ha,’” he says.

Brandon connects with his inner Pieces.

He avoids the X-rated jokes often heard on comedy stages. “I go for clean, wholesome — no blue — I don’t need to go there,” he says. “I believe in coming from a place of spirit and soul rather than the lowest common denominator.”

Brandon does have his devilish side, however. He enjoys a good practical joke, like when he does a “mystery man” performance at a wedding or exclusive corporate event.

“It’s part prank, part roast,” he says. “I go to an event as a complete imposter. I’ve been the president of Bank of America, the Minister of Health from Mexico, and the long-lost boyfriend of the bride at a wedding reception — and I play the role until I finally reveal it’s a put-on.”

He says it’s all very subtle and delivered with a straight face.

“There have been times when I’ve given a whole presentation at a corporate meeting and the employees think I’m a new big shot in the company,” Brandon explains. “I’m up there saying the most outrageous things and they’re looking around trying to figure out if anyone finds what I’m saying to be completely insane.”

Brandon’s unique brand of sci-fi magic includes the “Bermuda Triangle Mystery.”

He recounts how one time some people left early before finding out it was all a put-on. They went to work on Monday thinking they had to sing to the customers when they made a bank deposit.

Another time, a company flew in doctors from all over the country to hear Brandon give a speech on medicine, a spoof written by the hospital administrators where Brandon’s character revealed that the secret of all medicine was guacamole.

Still, one of his favorite things to do is perform at the Magic Castle. Other favorite stages in Los Angeles include the Ice House, “you’re close to the audience.” He also likes to perform at the Universal Amphitheater because it’s big but still feels intimate.

Brandon Scott in a serious moment. Photo by Bill Rich.Although he’s produced and starred in shows with multimember casts, at present he works alone. He says it’s solved issues about having to depend on others. His personal life is a solo act as well. He’s never been married, although he says he would like to marry one day.

“I’m a complex, not complicated, person who has many components and interests in my life,” Brandon says. “I need someone in my life who wouldn’t be put off by that — or who could go off and do her thing and then we would connect when we weren’t busy with our other interests.”

Brandon says he knows his involvement with so many things (a common trait among singulars) is difficult for a romantic partner to handle — unless they happen to be the same way.

“I function better in a relationship,” he says. “But if it’s not the right relationship, it’s better to be without it. People who need a relationship to define themselves and each other are not coming from the right place.”

When asked to name his best performance, he responds there are thousands. “There are few things I enjoy more than bringing a community of people together, especially where I can inspire stressed-out people to feel a moment of joy.

“I guess that’s another way I define myself,” he says. “I’m a joy bringer. When you can do that, everything in your life takes on a whole new meaning.”

For more on Brandon Scott, visit: www.brandonscott.tv and facebook.com/BrandonJayScott

Copyright © Kim Calvert / 2011 Singular Communications, LLC.

avatar CandiceB

Wow! Loved this story. Singulars rule!
avatar Houdini

Like I read on FB, this guys is the incarnation of Peter Pan. Great article Kim!
avatar Lexie

Wowie Kazowie!!!
This guy is pretty amazing...cute too! i would love to see him perform..any idea the next time he will be at the Magic Castle?
avatar Paisley

He is a pretty diverse character...Was wonderinig if Brandon has his own TV show...if not he should.
avatar Nuby

What a gifted performer this guy is!
avatar caren Rich

Brandon is one of the most phenomenal human beings we have ever met in our lives! Wonderful article!
avatar Cheryl

Very nice to know more about Brandon! I love the unique style of his delivery to various audiences and what a background to draw from, amazing! Thanks for sharing.
avatar Hannah

This is quite an interesting man! Great article.
avatar Bari

Brandon says it best... he is a 'joy' bringer.... but also he brings wonder, fun, and playfulness to his work and I am so glad he is celebrated in this article in this way. It just demonstrates the vastness of creativity, and how important it may be as we move forward to recognize that an artist is not definable.... an artist celebrates life.
avatar Victor

That is impressive. Way to go! Well written article.
avatar Dwayne Ladd

Brandon is a very talented and true performer with a heart of Gold. We need more people like Brandon who can put smiles on faces and hearts.
avatar Yeni Alvarez

Thank you for the article on Brandon. About time he got some great recognition! He is an amazing performer, always brings a smile to my face and I always look forward to seeing him perform. Best of luck Brandon! LA Loves you!!!!
avatar Maria

Brandon is a delightful performer. Everyone should see him!
avatar Natasha

way to go brandon...awesome!
avatar Doreene

I've seen him at the Magic Castle, he amazing and funny!
avatar Miguel

Quote:

I have known Brandon for over 30 years and the reason he is so good at what he does is that he has always loved it. Congratulaitions my friend.
avatar Maria Diaz Wasso

Brandon you are and continue to be so audaciously GREAT! You are all of the Magic in the Black Hat...One never knows what talent will come up next. Your talent is enormous and your heart just as big. Congratulations and never stop; you entertain and make us laugh and that is a great gift in the world! I am always honored to be your audience and friend. Maria
avatar Shari Blum Hopper

I too worked with Brandon many years ago as a magician assistant. He has always been a special soul with unique energy. And...he has always loved what he does. I enjoyed the article immensely. It brought back many memories. Shari
avatar Mago Kadima

Mi querido Brandon; Te quiero felicitar por el magnifico artículo, me siento muy feliz de tenrte como amigo desde niños, fuiste mi inespiración para ser mago y sabes que siempre estaré agradecido contigo, para terminar, quiero regalarte unas palabras: Esta prohibido levantarse sin una ilusión, vestirse sin una esperanza, y sin dejar de agradecer a Dios, por el día que nos regaló.
avatar Rich Smith

Awesome article... with a lot of great words used to describe Brandon's character! Although the word integrity was left out everyone who knows Brandon can vouch for his honesty. As a film producer in Hollywood, Brandon has proved himself to be one of the most honest and sincere people I've ever worked with. What a gem of a guy!
avatar micah cover

It was a pleasure working with you at The Night of the Raven at the Magic Castle. Can't wait to see you perform again!
Your Fan,
Micah
PS I have my own Bermuda Triangle effect. I'd LOVE to see YOURS!